+2
Fixed

New version does not work with custom scaling, get error message

DerikJ 7 years ago updated by Ionuț Botizan 7 years ago 11

I have a 4K monitor with the resolution set to: 4096x2160 and I have a custom setting set up for 1920 x 1200 centered on screen. This worked fine with the previous version, and I upgraded to the Pro version, and it does not work with the new version of the extension. When will this be fixed? Why did the functionality change with the new version... as with the other post, this is now useless to me.

ERROR

• the target height is lower than the minimum allowed by your browser window
  • the target width is lower than the maximum allowed by your browser window

HINT: Adjust the zoom level then try again. (Zoom in for fewer and zoom out for more CSS pixels)

Answer

+1
Answer
Fixed

Hey guys,

Version 2.6.0 (released yesterday) should have removed that error message. However, please note that it's not quite fixed and I can't really fix it because it's a Chrome issue. (Read bellow for details on why it "worked" in the old version. Short answer: it didn't)

More details for those interested:

The extension uses the chrome.windows.update() method from the Chrome extensions API to try to update the window's width & height (this is the only way). Unfortunately, Chrome doesn't always set it correctly on a display scaling other than 100%. For example, on a scaling of 125%, even though I required a height of 667px, Chrome always set it to 668px. (I suspect this is due to some math rounding errors when Chrome calculates the window size it needs to draw depending on the display scaling)

Now, because people often complained about the previous version of the extension of being unreliable, in v2 I decided that, after re-sizing, I should check if the re-sized window was indeed set to the desired dimensions and, if not, revert it to the initial size and display that error message. Stupid me assumed that this would happen only when the width & height were too small or too big for the current window/display. As it turns out, it's Chrome's fault and I shall continue to be blamed for the "unreliability" of my extension (which is caused by the unreliability of Chrome, yet no one will know this...)

Best Regards,

Ionuț

Under review

Hi Derik,

First of all, I want to thank you for your support and, second, I want to apologize for the inconvenience. I'll be looking into it in the next few hours. Meanwhile, there's one thing you can do for me:

1. Resize and position the window manually exactly where you want it to be

2. Go to the settings and add a new preset

3. Don't enter the width/height yourself, but click on the "use current" link

4. Save the preset and see if it resizes/positions the window where you want it to be

See the video bellow if you don't know what I mean:

Best Regards,

Ionuț

I have the same problem ... I did these steps... didnt worked

Yes, get the same error. And if we have only one preset, it's not possible anymore to configure the button to apply this setting directly.

So for me previous version was far more better than the new one. Is there a way to get the old one ?

Thanks.

Seb.

I liked the previous version.. this was very bad in terms of "UI/UX"... Please suggest me to downgrade the version

Have you people tested your code or not ??

The new version has been available as a Beta since March, 2016 (yeah, well over a year) and has been actively used by more than 30.000 people. I guess you could say we tested it, am I right?

Here's the Beta, so you can see for yourself: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/window-resizer-beta/pnhnbekjlbamfnnemcaolkjchjlidbib

Same issue here. I have a 4k screen with custom desktop scaling in Win 10. None of my old presets work anymore and I have the same error message as the OP.

Sorry - but this is really bad testing by the developer. Why fix something if it wasn't broken???

Started

Hi all,

I posted an update that should be available within an hour. Please let me know if it fixes anything.

Best Regards,

Ionuț

That's great - how do we update? I tried the beta and nope - no good either. Simply does not work when you have custom desktop scaling (common for 4k screen users).

Just so you are aware, turning on the resize tool-tip does show the scaled resolution of the window correctly. i.e. I like my browser window to be 1280 x 1024 equivalent on a 4k screen. I have my desktop scaling to 175%. The tool-tip reports 1280 x 1024 (even though it is actually 2217x1778 px) so that's good. Unfortunately following your instructions to create a new preset after manually rescaling this way displays the same error in your extension when you try to use that new preset.

Sorry...

+1
Answer
Fixed

Hey guys,

Version 2.6.0 (released yesterday) should have removed that error message. However, please note that it's not quite fixed and I can't really fix it because it's a Chrome issue. (Read bellow for details on why it "worked" in the old version. Short answer: it didn't)

More details for those interested:

The extension uses the chrome.windows.update() method from the Chrome extensions API to try to update the window's width & height (this is the only way). Unfortunately, Chrome doesn't always set it correctly on a display scaling other than 100%. For example, on a scaling of 125%, even though I required a height of 667px, Chrome always set it to 668px. (I suspect this is due to some math rounding errors when Chrome calculates the window size it needs to draw depending on the display scaling)

Now, because people often complained about the previous version of the extension of being unreliable, in v2 I decided that, after re-sizing, I should check if the re-sized window was indeed set to the desired dimensions and, if not, revert it to the initial size and display that error message. Stupid me assumed that this would happen only when the width & height were too small or too big for the current window/display. As it turns out, it's Chrome's fault and I shall continue to be blamed for the "unreliability" of my extension (which is caused by the unreliability of Chrome, yet no one will know this...)

Best Regards,

Ionuț